Thursday, December 10, 2009

Usage of bitless bridles in shows?

I just received my bitless bridle by Dr.Cook and my horse absolutely loves it. He responds a lot better. His quote "you have a better horse than you think "



Is true.



Anyways, I searched all over and I can't find the rules about using this bridle in shows! I will be showing in equitation and hunters. 2'3 jumping. And I can't find out anything about using this bitless bridle! I live in Florida and I'll be showing at PBCHA.



Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Usage of bitless bridles in shows?dream theater



as per the usef rules governing hunters subchapter hu4



tack: regulation snaffles, pelhams and full bridles all with cavesson nosebands are RECOMMENDED. a judge may penalize for non- conventional types of bits or nosebands.



this rule says that bits are only recommended. it says nothing about not being allowed to show bitless.



now for the dressage rule they have stated that certain bits are REQUIRED to compete.



therefore you can show biltless in hunters and jumpers. some judges might penalize you for that decision of riding bitless but it is allowed



Usage of bitless bridles in shows?performing arts opera theater



did you look under USEF rulebooks?



They are not allowed, anytime you are in a showing situation, your horse must be bitted unless its 5 or under, then bosals are acceptable. I am guessing your horse is over that age.



I am at work right now and can't get to the USEF rules but check there, I believe alot of shows follow their rules.
If all else fails, call, e-mail, or even write a letter to them asking.
Hunters, not in the USEF and most likely not in the PBCHA. Hunters in particular are rather fussy about bits. Equitation does not have a specific rule on bits, but you can be penalized for an unconventional rig. Jumpers, you'll probably be okay. I know they allow hackamores in the USEF (a friend of mine competes in one). There is no real set of legal bits for the jumpers. I would contact the PBCHA and see what they say, and see if a bitless bridle is classified in the same way as a hackamore. Also, keep in mind that most schooling shows are more lenient about these things, especially if you call them ahead of time and let them know you're coming.
some horse shoes allow it, some dont. it ususally depends on the people hosting the show. either before you go to a show you can call the people and ask if they allow no bits, or you can bring bridles with and w/o a bit and ask there. have fun!!
Hunters and Eq must go in bits, and unconventional bits may be penalized. I would not be schooling in something I cannot show in...I would think your trainer would have told you what is/isn't allowed in the show ring before you bought something that you can only use at home.
It is in the USEF rule book... you have to look really hard.



Basically the only place a bitless bridle is allowed in recognized shows is in cross country. Bitless bridles are not allowed in hunters or dressage.



Here are the references:



Dressage:



http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2...



pages: DR17 - DR20



Hunter



http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2...



pg HU6



and basically anything is allowed in Cross Country, including: hackamores (bitless), gags, and elevators.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd