Thursday, December 10, 2009

Would this hurt or help the AQHA / APHA/ PtHA etc shows?

In your opinion, would creating a "non pro" division for amatuers who have amassed a certain number of points (say a 1000 in an event such as WP) hurt or help the horse shows? This was a discussion that several of us had over breakfast the other day regarding amatuer riders who are either the kids of trainers or have the big bucks that allows them to buy the high dollar show horses which keeps them in the winners circle year after year. Should they "point out"of an event and either go to a non pro or open division? Would this level the playing field and bring in more people to show who would have a chance at possibly getting points on their horses when not having to show against these people or would it hurt in the fact that the "big gun" amatuers may leave the show ring altogehter? There were a lot of different opinions on this and I would like to see what the horse show people here have to say about it.



Would this hurt or help the AQHA / APHA/ PtHA etc shows?chinese theater



I think it would benifite it in the long run. You'd have people gripe b/c it's going to make shows run longer BUT it makes it more fair. It always drove me nuts when i was younger trying to show AQHA on my lil home bred mare and all these other kids on these high $$$ horses b/c mommy and daddy were loaded or were the trianers themselves. I rarely placed when I showed BIG time AQHA shows but at the lil local AQHA shows my mare wa sin the top 5 everytime. Congress was a laugh. I went once showed up with my horse saw all the high $$$ horses and kids and scratched from every event b/c I knew there was no point. i was right too all the trainers kids placed. Only one home-bred horse placed and ironically it belonged to a trainer whose freind's kid was riding it.... So yeah I think your idea is perfect. Wish that had been thought of when I was showing. My experience left a sour taste in my mouth and I now prefer not to show breed reg events



Would this hurt or help the AQHA / APHA/ PtHA etc shows?opera mini opera theater



I don't know much about the show scene, but I agree that adding a class in the structure you describe would accomplish all you describe and more.



It would also serve as a transition for those in the process of going pro.
I am not familiar with AQHA/APHA etc. show protocol, but I understand what you're saying and I think that a procedure like that would be beneficial for all. I think all disciplines have issues like this, where the person with the most cash (for the top trainers and/or top horses) ultimately triumphs over "the rest of us", who meanwhile train their bums off all year on $1500 OTT TBs.



However, I think there have to be limitations on a policy like this, since often times the funding for these events comes (directly or indirectly) from the top barns themselves, or else people connected with them. And of course there is the issue of people getting upset over "prejudice" against the the people with expensive horses/trainers.



I do think that some fields are far less level than others, and this certainly sounds like one of them. Anything that brings the purpose of shows down from S/He Who Has The Most Money back to S/He Who Is An Exemplary Rider is fine by me. I stopped showing years ago, and I'm afraid that this was the reason why. I hate to sound like a sore loser, but I know I'm not the only person who feels this way.
I think AQHA had something along these lines....once you got 10 points, you had to move out of that division. Can't remember if there was a name for this division. I think it would help so long as the "pro-amateur" still had a place to go and show. This is a pretty sizeable field. If there are enough "novice- amateurs" and "pro-amateurs" for classes to be lucrative, then everybody should stand to gain. Arabians have the same issues, but I have seen winners from all across the board at their big shows..the small guy has a chance and there is a healthy turnout of each group.



As for being big guns and having the money to put into a show and pay the bills, I think associations are going to pay attention to where the money comes from, bottom line being very crucial to operations. They would have to be shown there is a good cost return to hold limited novice type classes.
A link to answer some of your questions ...... AQHA



http://www.aqha.com/association/registra...



Check out novice, limited rider program, novice amateur program, supreme champion. etc.



Yes, they'll eventually point out; however, the cost of the rail horses with AQHA is not going down....many horses now shown by novice amateurs and amateurs and the 14-18 group in the $85,000 to $125,000 and up bracket. These people continue to step up to the pay window and will eventually have multiple futurity horses or will show in the open division or will have a trainer ride their horse in the open division. They've got no end of bucks and are willing to spend it.



Edit: If I'm understanding your question there are classes in place and age limits which send these kids on to the next level. From 14-18 they'll move onto Novice Amateur, Limited Rider, and then Amateur; If they still qualify and aren't involved in training horses which is an automatic "out" of amateur. I'd like to say it would level the playing field but it doesn't. For every two that leave 14-18 and go onto novice amateur, two more come into the14-18 group from the 13 and under group who are equally competitive usually with a brand new horse.



For those who do not have a lot of money to show, we created the Regional AQHA Show; it allows the kids without a lot of capitol to show against others at their own level. The same holds true for the amateurs and the open division at regional. The horses collect regional points. It is a good starting point and at our first Regional show here we had a large turnout of those wanting to compete.



Many Amateurs showing at Congress and World levels stay in that division until they reach the age of 50 at which point they may move into the Select (Amateur) classes. Usually by this time, they're glad to get away from the kids who've entered Amateur from the 14-18 group....some huge competition there.



I don't know that you can "force" anyone from a competition level after acquiring a certain number of points...say in the Amateur division. If they want to remain amateurs, haven't trained a horse for anyone, haven't accepted renumeration for training, then..they're still amateurs...can't take it away from them. They can stay there. I believe the AQHA may regard "Non Pro" and " Amateur" as interchangeable. My question to you would be how would you differentiate between the two??? Just by points? Creating another division may only increase paperwork for the overworked show secretary. Our Summer Classic show in June is the third largest Quarter Horse show in the nation. We have all of the amateur classes, all youth, all open, most of the cattle classes, the games, halter divisions, etc....the list is long....so, I do not know how Non Pro would fly in the face of so much going on now.



I would suggest that you acquire an "Official Handbook" of the AQHA which goes into great depth regarding different divisions of showing.....you might make a suggestion of "non pro" to the show committee at the next AQHA convention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd